How You Can Help
1. Help Us Organize
- Join our online community at http://www.texaskidscantwait.org and tell everyone you know in Texas about us. We need to grow fast and to grow big!
- Tell your family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, perfect strangers, and neighbors what you have learned about Texas school funding and about the $5.4 billion budget cuts.
- Invite/bring people to Public Forums so that we reach as many people as possible.
- Donate money or services to help pay for webpage maintenance expenses, meeting room rentals, phone calls, travel to other Texas cities, etc.
- Donate time–come to meetings, help with event logistics, help organize events, etc.
- Ask your church, school, club, organization, etc. to invite us to present our information about Texas school funding inequity/inadequacy and about budget cuts and threats of privatization.
- Think of everyone you know in Texas and see if you can help get a group started in as many school districts as possible.
2. Become Political
- Register to vote, if you haven’t already. And vote in every election for candidates who support our goals.
- Get deputized so that you can register voters.
- Talk, write, mail messages to elected officials.
- Sign a petition in support of student equity, taxpayer equity, adequacy, and excellence for all. And sign a petition against all privatization schemes.
- Write letters or email to the editor of newspapers and other publications in support of our goals.
- Attend school board, State Board of Education, and/or legislative hearings and report back to us about what you learned.
- Help us network and coordinate with other like-minded organizations across the state.
3. Become a Leader
- Become a presenter for the Public Forums.
- Give testimony on legislative hearings in Austin about education issues.
- Help organize other Texas communities.
- Get involved in campaigns, elections, and political party offices.
- Write recruitment materials, handouts, blogs, sample letters to elected officials, sample letters to the editor, etc.
- Coordinate lobbying efforts.
4. Make Us Better, Smarter
- Sign up for a Texas Kids Can’t Wait committee:
- Political Strategy
- Community education and presentation training
- Research on school funding and other issues
- Membership recruitment
- Communication and social media
- Finance and fundraising
- Organization structure and logistics
Comments & Responses